Nearly six years have passed since I embarked on my writing career and yet it seems that it was just yesterday when I composed my first article. If I recall correctly, the year 2007 was about to end. I had no work for the last two years due to circumstances beyond by control. Thankfully, I had the foresight to put a major part of my savings in fixed deposits in my bank and the interest earned from it helped us to make ends meet. I also had the good fortune to arrange a decent marriage for my elder daughter. I was nearly 55 years old at that time and embarking on a new career was out of the question. To be honest, I lacked self-confidence. I spent the major part of the days brooding about nothing and thinking about the future of my family.
- Set up a minimum rate and adhere by it
- Charge higher rates for press releases and product reviews
- Always demand upfront payment when working for a new client
- Keep the voice (1st person or so) consistent throughout the article
- Take a break of an hour or so after completing the article and review it
- Do not feel frustrated if you do not succeed at your first attempt
- Do not toil throughout the day… by doing so you will burn yourself out
- Be honest with yourself. If you cannot undertake a job, say so to the client.